Saturday, July 02, 2005

so close

We were so close to go into the finals tomorrow. So close man. We were around two seconds from the winner. Today was the first day of the Singapore Dragonboat Festival 2005 and we took part in the 12-crew(open)inter-corporate race and the 24-crew(mixed) National Championship event. For the inter-corporate event, we were racing against strong teams like HSBC and OCBC. Surprisingly, it turns out that HSBC and us were leading neck to neck in the race. Our pace was good but sometimes the boat was like tilting so badly that I could feel myself being thrown to my partner's side. Hard to keep my butts glue to my seat. So rocky.

When we came in second placing, I thought we could come back tomorrow and row for the finals but our timing compared to those who came in second in the other heats were the slowest. Was quite dejected man. At least we did our rowing beautifully during the race. No kancheong spider type of rowing during the start of the race. No punctured in the middle of the race. And we shout left right centre man. Trying the scare our opponents so that their boat will capsize.

It was during this year's race I get to see other people's boat capsize. When some of us just reach Marina Bay trying to set up our company banner at a nice comfortable and nice viewing spot that I witnessed a boat capsized during the race. Realised that almost all of those which shouted and yelled as they rowed to their starting point end up being the last few. Seems more like a barking dragon than a fast one. Usually those which came in the first placing are the quietest of all. They just quietly row slow and steady to the end point. I wanted to keep quiet and row but as I hear my fellow rowers shout like mad, I also join in. Wanna boost the team spirit man.

What fascinates me about dragonboat is the team spirit. It's not a one man show. Even if I wanna one man show play hero also cannot. Cos the boat dun move fast becos of me. There has to be coordination. If we row like catapillar will sure have rowing speed like catapillar. Every stroke has to be the same and there should be only one swoosh sound while rowing. One man's mistake can affect the whole team. And endurance cos no matter how fit we are, surely feel shack in the middle of the race, gasping for air and arms feeling stiff or feels like jelly. The stamina for dragonboat rowing requires much more than just jogging or swimming.

Haiz. But it's kinda demoralizing to keep losing when many of us put in effort to come for training and all. Wonder if I should continue for next season. Wanna use my Sat morning for sleeping leh.



He tends his flock like a shepherd:
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.
Isaiah 40:11



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello again. I am fascinated to know that you row for dragonboats. We have an annual contest here in the Philippines (in Boracay, a world-famous white sand beach, have you ever been there?). I like the team spirit required to train and participate in dragonboat rowing. When I was teaching, I'd often point that out to my students. Merf, it's not really the winning that counts but it's the effort that you put in to win. If you don't try, you're a loser. If you don't win but you tried hard, you're a real winner!

merf said...

I've long to come to Philippines because of its beautiful islands I've heard! Sad to say, I didn't make any plans for travel due to studies and job commitments. Shall find out more about this Boracay beach you mention. Any photos of this beach that you have?

I was thinking of stopping dragonboating once I found a new job. heh. Though we lost, our captain said that we had improved by 16sec from our previous competition. Another reason for not continuing dragonboating is because I hope to focus more my part-time studies in accounting. Perhaps I could seek counsel from you eh? :P

By the way, nice to meet you in this huge blogsphere too. heh. :) *waves* Really enjoy reading your blog.