Saturday, August 20, 2005

war of the worms

Infection Rates in New Windows Worm Low

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- Malicious hackers unleashed new variants of a computer worm that attacks a vulnerability in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows 2000 operating system, but infection rates appeared to be relatively low and damage minor Wednesday...

- AsiaOne, 18 Aug 2005.


I was one of the victim! I was one of that minority being affected by that pesky little worm. Someone in the family has accidentally released the worm (through e-mail probably) while using this computer. Was trying to get rid of it last night but couldn't find the removal tool. Cause me to slept at 1am and was late for work. Dammit. Felt like shoving bucket load of worms down into that person's nose who created such irritating creatures.

This worm (W32 something) is programmed to restart the PC every 10 minutes or so after I had login. While searching for a clue or solution to the problem, the PC had restart four to five times. Very frustrated and tired. Gave up and I went to sleep.

Today, I realised I could get the patch and removal tool from the Microsoft Windows Update. Darn. Should have realised earlier.

I just came back from church after helping out to patch up and paint up the wall. Felt very accomplished like a young Michelangelo as I learned how to scrap away those left behind double-sided tape on the wall, patch up the holes, sanding the patches and painting the wall white. Couldn't have done it better with fenfen around. So nicely done that I think the congregation will turn around worship the wall instead! hahaha.

Michelangelo

No comments: