Thursday, July 29, 2004

The Last Samurai

This evening, Fitness Network was supposed to screen the movie, "The Last Samurai" by the poolside. However due to the drizzle, we had no choice but to watch in inside the Science Hub. Fitness Network was really thoughtful in providing free hotdogs and drinks for us while we watched the show. Save me the money to buy dinner. Hee.

The disappointing part was that the DVD disc somehow would freeze in one particular scene when Tom Cruise was talking to Ken Watanabe. Very disappointing and disruptive during the screening while the Fitness Network Manager, Samuel tried to fix the problem. Samuel mentioned before the start of the screening that he love the show so much that he watched it twice. Perhaps he had caused the disc to have problem. Haha. Or the disc could be a pirated version. Anyway, back to the movie.

It was a great movie. Inspiring. This was my first time watching the movie and I regretted not catching it on the big screen. I would recommend people to watch it if they have not. It's definintely worth a weekend movie ticket. Many many months back, my good friend, Kiat told me it was a movie which I MUST watch. Totally awesome fights with spectacular scenes and scenery. I just smiled while thinking to myself that it's just gonna be another of those Hollywood type of movie. Pure action and brainless plot. However the movie was contrary to what I thought.

The sword fighting scenes are awesome. Not forgetting the archery skills of the Samurais. Some say their archery skills are better than Legolas but they don't look as cute as him. Needless to say, the sceneries were great too. The movie speaks about true courage and the way of the Samurai. The movie also seems to portray the huge conflict between modernisation and Japanese tradition. Modernisation for the economy of the country has caused Japan to sacrifice its long preserved and rich tradition. The Ruler of Japan in the movie was too young to voice out or know what was really good for his people. In fact, he has also somewhat embraced modernisation by learning English and he didn't bun his hair in those male Japanese tradition style. The movie makes me wonder was it worth losing a unique Japanese tradition and culture and adopt modernisation to boost the economy of the country. In the later part of the movie, it seems that Japan wasn't left with much of a choice either. I did a module on the contemporary history of Japan from the Era of Tokugawa till its modern stage and it made me realised so much about the history of Japan that I didn't know.

For those who had read the history of Japan would know what "The Last Samurai" was trying to say. It doesn't belong to one of those Hollywood type of movies.





No comments: