Thursday, June 23, 2005

reservist @ nee soon camp

Today is the fourth day of my ICT. Was starting to have this dread feeling on the first day already. It was so unlike my previous two in-camp training. Usually we'll be excited to book in and catch up on one other's life so we have such a busy and happening life outside that we don't have the time to meet up. ICT to me was the gathering I looked forward becos I can get to see how's my army friends. And by the third day of ICT, I'll start to have this feeling that I hope the ICT will be over soon cos I'd done all the catching I need to do and just want it to be get done and over with. This time round, the feeling of wanting the ICT to be over was sinking in on the very first day. Perhaps it was becos two guys from our clique wasn't able to make it for this ICT. One has to attend NIE freshman orientation and the other guy(nickname Big Head) just started on his new job hence couldn't make it. I guess I missed the times of going e-mart shopping together and making jokes about army stuff and suan-ing our fellow Big Head.

My skills in operating the heavy plant vehicles has deteriorated man. Couldn't dig a proper 106 tankpit with the shovel yesterday. Losing the touch man. My ground guide was wondering what am I trying to do. Actually operating on the shovel is quite tough as you can't really see what you are digging and have to rely on your 'feel' to gauge how deep and how far you have dug. Even today's tankpit was quite a letdown. Really hope I had more time training on those heavy plants.

Anyway tomorrow is the last day and there's nothing too siong going on. Found out I got a silver for my IPPT test! Yayyyy! Finally. Got a silver for it. Looks like my jogging once a week has paid off. Got to work on my standing board jump though. Also found out that I didn't get a silver for my previous IPPT was becos of my standing board jump. doh. Thought it was my running that pulled me down. Wanted to reward myself for watching a movie but was carrying loads of stuff from camp. Instead I bought two chocolate donunts for myself. heh. nice. Tomorrow gonna get ready for a 5km run which is good cos I hope to maintain this 5km a week jog habit.

Was rather disappointed with this year's ICT as I start to notice the inefficiencies of our company and the irresponsible people not being punctual and all. How to go to war in such mentality? I felt that our commanders could have done a better job in organising the company but I might not be able to do better job if I were them. Reason being that most of us just treat this in-camp training as a waste of our civilian time when we could be doing more 'meaningful' stuff outside of army. Really hope it doesn't take an actual war for us to realise how in-camp training is important us to be prepared for the actual thing. The war of the worlds might just be coming our way.

No comments: