Saturday, April 23, 2011

work-life balance

If you're looking at work-life balance, I don't really think you can find a correlation that says the company is more productive or more profitable the longer and harder people work. I don't think that's true. You can find correlations between the quality of life within a corporation and the productivity of its employees. It may sound simple, mundane or pedestrian, but I believe that happy employees are more productive employees than those who are always tired and dragging. We encourage an appropriate work-life balance and wellness in the workplace. We spend a lot of time and attention on that: we have constructive websites to suggest to people that they take care of themselves personally and mentally as well as physically. Certainly, a large part of the mental component is making sure you have appropriate relationships with friends and family.

When we talk about work-life balance, I think I learned that lesson the hard way. I probably have a little guilt that I'm living with, particularly when I spend time with my granddaughter and I ask myself whether I devoted this much time and attention to her mother. But fortunately she grew up well and she's a productive, contributing member of society. She's happy and she's presented me with a great granddaughter, so hopefully I didn't do too much damage in that relationship. But if I had to do it over again, I would spend more time with my children than I did.

- Erroll Davis, Jr